Thursday, September 9, 2010

For Monique Evers

California, P.S.T. - 8 September 2010 ~ (New Zealand time - 9 September 2010)

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength." - Author Unknown

Today, from 7:30 am to 7:30 pm, Monique Evers will be undergoing an extensive breast cancer removal surgery at Los Robles hospital in Thousand Oaks, CA. She is expected to be in the I.C.U. until Saturday when she will be moved into a recovery room for several more days.

I have never met Monique, but she is a dear friend of my aunt Paige, who forwarded me a simple request to light a candle to honour and protect this "amazing, positive and loving woman... just a great person" as she undergoes today's procedure. Monique's friends and family will be lighting flames of hope and support, sending their love, and holding Monique in their thoughts and prayers throughout the day and the hours following the surgery - as will I.

Monique added...
"Can you mention that I don't mind if the email gets forwarded to various countries all over the globe? I'm fascinated at how many countries we can cover, do you mind asking people to let you or I know how far they have passed the email along? I have a mental world map with those little red pins of all the countries that send support and love."

"Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness." - Chinese Proverb

This is for you, Monique: May you stay safe and recover quickly.

Wednesday the 8th at 7:30 am Pacific Standard Time is 2:30 am on Thursday the 9th here in Hamilton, New Zealand.

The candles will be shining outside of my room, on my window's small ledge, all day (a very sensitive fire alarm system, means we can't light them inside).

My candle has been burning since 2:30 am, and Erika, my best friend/neighbor in our residence hall, also added her candle this morning.

To Monique and her friends and family back in CA and elsewhere - sending love and good wishes from New Zealand,
xo Sarah & Erika

2 comments: